Why should I exfoliate my face?
You may be wondering why you should exfoliate such a tender area of the body, but there are a number of reasons why this can benefit your skin’s health.
- Exfoliating your skin can help prevent dead skin cells from clogging up the pores in your face or triggering breakouts. Shedding skin cells is a natural process but it can become easy for dead skin cells to stick around, this is where face scrubs and exfoliators come in.
- Exfoliating can help prevent wrinkles. As we age, the skin’s natural exfoliation process slows meaning that we can end up with a build-up of dead skin cells. Exfoliating can help skin maintain a youthful appearance by getting rid of dead, old, and tired skin cells.
- It can keep your skin smooth. Getting rid of the old skin cells at the surface of the skin will instantaneously give skin a smoother looking appearance.
- Removes dry skin cells. Particularly in the winter when our skin is exposed to harsher weather conditions, exfoliation is important! Often, when we have dry skin, we try to remedy it by layering on heavy moisturisers, but these usually just clog up pores and are actually counterproductive to what we want. Using a gentle exfoliator first will remove any dry skin cells and prevent dry skin from sticking around.
- It helps remove dark marks and circles post-breakout. The more you exfoliate skin the more you get rid of the dark marks and encourage the growth of new healthy skin cells.
How often should I exfoliate my skin?
You won’t need to exfoliate every day to keep your skin clear; generally twice a week is enough, or once a week if you have particularly sensitive skin. Although this may vary slightly depending on your skin type, the environment your skin is exposed to, and which other kinds of products you tend to use on your face. Winter in particular is a time where you may want to up how often you use a face scrub, this is because the colder, harsher weather leaves us more prone to dry skin. Often we think that dry skin means we need to reach for more hydrating moisturiser, and while I agree that moisturiser is important for dry skin, using a gentle facial exfoliator will help you to remove the dry patches first.
Most exfoliators out there contain harsh chemicals that can actually create tiny microscopic tears in the skin, leaving it open to infections, spots and premature aging from wear-and-tear damage. That’s why we have listed our favourite natural face scrubs that can help exfoliate your skin without the damaging chemicals.
Green People Organic Fruit Scrub for sensitive skin
First up is Green People’s Organic Fruit Scrub. This natural fruit scrub is made from organic materials and completely free from harsh chemicals that can irritate and damage skin. If you’re looking for an exfoliator that doesn’t damage your skin, or the environment, then Green People have you covered! Rather than using environmentally damaging microbeads (which are tiny pieces of plastic that are found in many exfoliators and scrubs), Green People use apricot kernel to give you a completely natural exfoliation.
Both hydrating and deeply cleansing and costing just £13.50, what more could you ask for in an exfoliator?
Natura Siberica Exfoliating Face Scrub for oily and combination skin
Second on our list is Natura Siberica’s Exfoliating Facial Scrub. Free from nasty chemicals, this is definitely our favourite scrub when it comes to oily and combination skin! This nurturing face scrub is rich in nutrients that make skin feel smooth and elastic. Natura Siberica is a certified organic beauty and skincare brand and all of their products are made from unique ingredients sourced from Siberia. Containing natural adaptogens found in plants which help the body to adapt to different environmental states, we think this is the perfect scrub for winter!
Cheapest on the list at £5, this scrub is perfect for those of you on a budget!
Sukin Revitalising Facial Scrub for all skin types
Last – but not least – is Sukin’s Revitalising Facial Scrub! This gentle, creamy exfoliator looks after your skin and it’s perfect for all skin types. Like Green People’s Organic Fruit Scrub, Sukin’s Revitalising Facial Scrub is also free from those pesky, environmentally damaging microbeads! Instead of microbeads, Sukin opts for natural microparticles made from bamboo and ground walnut shell to gently exfoliate your face. This friendly exfoliator contains nourishing chamomile, rosehip oil and jojoba oil to help nourish skin and protect its natural moisture barrier.
Costing £8.12, protecting the environment as well as having fabulous skin couldn’t be easier with Sukin’s Facial Scrub!
After care shouldn't be an after thought!
After treating your skin to a lovely exfoliation it's important to moisturise afterwards to prevent it from drying out. My favourite natural moisturiser has got to be Kinvara’s Active Rosehip Day Cream. This awesome day cream is packed with roeships, which help give skin strength and elasticity, as well as hyaluronic acid, a chemical naturally found in our skin cells that help to plump skin up and fight signs of aging. Still not convinced? Don't just take my word for it, Kinvara's Rosehip Day Cream has won multiple awards including Best Inexpensive Moisturiser in the 2017 RSVP Beauty Awards as well as Best Value Buy in the Best Day Moisturiser category of the 2016 The Beauty Shortlist. Kinvara themselves say, ‘in this ordinary jar is our extraordinary moisturiser' and here at Jan de Vries we definitely agree!
That being said, one moisturiser doesn't suit all skin types, the good news is if you aren’t sure what type of moisturiser you should be using we have a huge range of moisturisers you can try. And, if you're simply overwhelmed by choice, we have a handy guide for which moisturiser for which skin type to get you started!