What does argan oil do?
One of the main benefits of argan oil is that it contains omega 6 which can help to prevent hair breakage and can even encourage your hair to retain more moisture too. This makes the oil ideal for those with dry hair as it will soften your locks whilst adding a subtle shine to them as well. What’s more, argan oil has the added benefit that it can protect against the heat of straighteners and hairdryers. Therefore, by nourishing and protecting, argan oil acts as a moisturiser for your hair.
However, argan oil doesn’t just act as a moisturiser for your hair as it is really beneficial for the skin too. It contains vitamin E for example, which helps to protect the skin from free radical damage – a major cause of premature aging.
Applying argan oil to the scalp
As well as improving the health and appearance of your skin and hair, argan oil can also do wonders for the scalp and so it can most definitely be applied here too.
Argan oil is packed with antioxidants and vitamin E which are known to reduce inflammation and dryness. The presence of these nutrients, as well as the fact it acts as a natural moisturiser, means argan oil can be used to tackle dandruff and dry skin on the scalp.
Which hair types should use it?
Argan oil is mainly of benefit to those with dry hair or a dry scalp because, as I’ve already mentioned, it tackles both of these problems. However, that’s not to say you won’t benefit from using it even if you would describe your hair as ‘normal’.
Our hair tends to get stripped of its natural oil by the harsh, unnatural ingredients in many shampoos and conditioners. Plus, whether it’s from the products we use or the weather outside, heat can also do a lot of damage to our hair. So, as it nourishes and rejuvenates the hair, even those with ‘normal’ locks could benefit from argan oil.
Nevertheless, adding an oily product to hair that’s already oily isn’t the best idea – you’ll only make the problem worse! In this case I’d forgo the argan oil and opt for a product targeted specifically at oily hair such as Dr Hauschka’s Revitalising Hair and Scalp Tonic. This 100% natural product helps to balance the production of oil to bring levels back under control. This will leave your hair looking shiny and healthy!
Choosing a product
When it comes to choosing which argan oil to use, you must focus on getting one that’s 100% natural. If there are ingredients listed alongside the oil then you are unlikely to see all the benefits that I’ve just mentioned above. So, where can you find such a product?
Well, look no further than John Masters’ 100% Argan Oil – you’ll find nothing but argan oil here! This is rich in the all-important omega 6, as well as antioxidants, which will help prevent hair breakage and leave it feeling soft and smooth instead!
Using argan oil
Argan oil can be applied to either dry or wet hair but either way your scalp will benefit from the moisturising effects of this unique oil.
- Put a little oil in your hands. You only need a few drops here as too much can leave your hair looking greasy – remember you can always add more if you need it
- Massage the argan oil into your scalp using your fingertips
- Use a comb to distribute the oil throughout your hair
- Wrap your hair in a warm towel before showering at least ten minutes later (a little longer would work well too).
- Towel-dry your hair
- Put a few drops of oil onto your hands (again a little goes a long way!)
- Massage the oil into your hair and scalp (combing it through would also work)
- Leave the oil for at least five minutes to let it soak through
- Dry and style your hair as you like but try not to add any more products to your hair – you don’t want to take away the positive effects of argan oil
- If you put too much argan oil on remember you could just rinse your hair a little.